Everipedia Whitepaper (No. 247)

4  3750USD start bounty
3412USD current bounty

Comments

White Paper Summary
Emerging blockchain technology has made it possible to create an incentivized peer-to-peer network for submitting, curating, and governing a database of encyclopedia articles.

karlkarl Reputation: 153
Send Message

Thanks Very Interesting here are some links:

https://everipedia.org/
https://big.one/trade/IQ-EOS
https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/everipedia.org

2c4d0f11958ce1d834f4d3fac5eae76c
MX10178MX10178 Reputation: 52
Send Message
Automatic Claim Number - cla1557234253

Quote - S a m K a z e m i a n , K e d a r I y e r , T r a v i s M o o r e , T h e o d o r F o r s e l i u s , L a r r y S a n g e r s a m @ e v e r i p e d i a . c o m k e d a r @ e v e r i p e d i a . c o m t r a v i s @ e v e r i p e d i a . c o m t h e o d o r @ e v e r i p e d i a . c o m l a r r y @ e v e r i p e d i a . c o m

Claim

Although the whitepaper gives contact emails, it doesn't list or indicate any physical address or headquarters location.

The Everipedia website lists headquarters in Santa Monica, Stockholm, and the Cayman Islands, but only gives a physical address in the Cayman Islands.

In and of itself, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with this. However, since the website has an 'Investors' section, and contains a downloadable investor presentation, it is concerning that they do not list a physical address in the US or Sweden, where the team is presumably physically based.

This seems to indicate a deliberate lack of transparency for an unknown reason.

Flags:

From Everipedia: We are incorporated in the Cayman Islands. by seedwhitepaperowner1 on 2019-05-08 06:29:15

cec833253c2ad187a8c489fe8ab9bebd
terrylampterrylamp Reputation: 1
Send Message

Alright, a new whitepaper! Appreciate the links Karl. I think we can get through this by helping each other out and hitting different aspects of this whitepaper. I made a list below of how we can do so.

Press research, see if they claim something different in the press.

Who is part of the team/company

Site registration, active or not as well as their status with the Secretary of State

Lawsuits, if there are any or not

Copyright and patents

Technology

Business methodology

This makes it easier for us to check this whitepaper compared to everyone doing their own thing. Also gives newbies like myself and others the opportunity to see and learn how the experienced bounty hunters go about their work.

6880095fbdc444cb900b4feba6922daf
cubanoBHloungecubanoBHlounge Reputation: 52
Send Message

I found something https://theoutline.com/post/2369/everipedia-is-the-wikipedia-for-being-wrong. It is not claim worthy but we cam probably find a pattern of behavior to file a claim.

9f9d65a3b86d2b869208c150ff1f3f6d
seedwhitepaperowner3seedwhitepaperowner3 Reputation: 0
Send Message

Hi I am the mod for tonight. Please don't DM or email us with question. Just post it here for efficiency reasons.

9d3b3b878714f9fdeef84dc740e4b4f0
hughhousehughhouse Reputation: 3
Send Message

I tried to look up the owner of the site and nothing has come up in my search so far any idea? Also, there is no registration of Everipedia with the Secretary of State, something to look into https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/CBS/SearchResults?filing=False&SearchType=CORP&SearchCriteria=Everipedia&SearchSubType=Keyword.
They should be registered since they state that their headquarters is here in Westwood https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everipedia.

It is strange because they have a big internet presence. Please, I would love credit for this with reputation so I can work my way to being a bounty hunter.

7a3ce4c28cf86fd1a8bc2d3963b0dbf0
NodyNody Reputation: 103
Send Message
Automatic Claim Number - cla1557206449

Quote - However,Wikipediaunintentionallytrapstheknowledgecapitalitgenerateswithinitsownplatformwhenitscontentcouldbeusedtocreateathrivingknowledgeeconomy.

Claim

It is interesting that Everipedia says that Wikipedia is unwilling to make a knowledge base when Everipedia wouldn't even be where it is now without importing entries from Wikipedia. As you can see they admit in this paragraph on their own site https://everipedia.org/wiki/lang_en/everipedia/ ,

Part of Everipedia's alternative was to import all of Wikipedia's content on their platform. This laid a foundation for people to add content to these pages that would not necessarily be accepted on Wikipedia's platform, such as links to their websites and social media accounts. In addition, Everipedia's users could create additional pages for people, organizations, and other subjects that are not found on Wikipedia.

Everipedia copied information from Wikipedia. Wikipedia hasn't been referenced as their source.
Think about all of the contributors who submitted their work to Wikipedia, a free platform, for others to reference and use their work for educational purposes. This company, not a free platform, took their work and copied it to their platform with only mentioning that they imported content from Wikipedia.
e2a78c7a0ae04e078a805a2c6f37cb1b
HopeHKHopeHK Reputation: 1
Send Message

Everipedia is a great concept, but it brings one major question to mind:

Wikipedia seems to work because the people who submit and edit articles are sort of idealists. They do it because they believe in it, they enjoy it, and feel a part preserving and distributing the world's knowledge.

Everipedia's submitters and editors, on the other hand, will be incentivized by tokens that have value. Will this corrupt the quality of the information? Will the spirit of the community be positive and collaborative, or will it invite schemes and unhealthy competitive practices between users?

No one knows, but you have to commend Everipedia for a wonderfully inventive concept.

d6b6877ffe725848ae3958edec818b8b
RosiRosi Reputation: 1
Send Message

@HopeHK I hear ya but read the whitepaper and look at the website because they thought of all of this. What it comes down to is you can work on wikipedia for free or you can get paid sort of for doing the same thing on everipedia.

a16f83950c932876effd5f7288d36c14
JDav19JDav19 Reputation: 1
Send Message

@MX10178 the fact that they don't show an address (besides Cayman Islands) on the website is not that unusual. Lots of companies do that because otherwise people drop by constantly with different proposals etc. The Whois on the Everipedia website registration lists an address in Los Angeles. If they were hiding something they could have kept that address confidential too.

702f0bb9a63d8d48cafe58e5b847cfab
maxamusdecamusmaxamusdecamus Reputation: 54
Send Message
Automatic Claim Number - cla1557330988

Quote - 1‑2millionuniquevisitorseachmonth

Claim

ony 30% of traffic coming from search engines, i.e. organically. Suggests the numbers have been inflated by purchasing page views.
Supported by the % of web traffic coming from India.
https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/everipedia.org?ver=alpha6a83e4d774361e776e604737a4ac2ed3
Send Message
Automatic Claim Number - cla1557331685

Quote - Thetransferfeemodelweproposewillallowthenetworktobenefitfrommarketspeculation.

Claim

All Tokens benefit from market speculation. This is not unique to their model. When the utility of the network is low, such as in the initial period when the network is small, the incentive for users of the token is only its speculative value. As the network grows so does the utility of that token on the network rather than the speculative value and so the network grows exponentially. 9fe4534d30b240cc57d7c5a640848ae9
Send Message
Automatic Claim Number - cla1557332042

Quote - Thetransferfeemodelweproposewillallowthenetworktobenefitfrommarketspeculation.Sinceonlynon‑governance,non‑stakingtransfersincurafee,thespeculatorsare,inaway,fundingthedevelopmentoftheEveripediaNetwork.Thetransferfeecanbeburnedtocreateadeflationarysupply,usedtofundnetworkdevelopment,orusedtofurthereconomicactivityontheplatform

Claim

tokens held on the majority of the large trading platforms DO NOT physically move to different wallets on the underlying blockchain with each trade. Tokens are held in cold storage by the trading platform and are only transferred once a user is looking to take those tokens off the platform. This is done to increase trading speeds and decrease the risk of attacks. 1d3c973ed3abfda7cfd7c7a4af6d0c48
Send Message
Automatic Claim Number - cla1557332534

Quote - commonresponse‑thecorrectone.

Claim

Common response does not = correct response. An expert in a field may have a minority response, however, the correct response. 97fafb91854bc6ad4a63f107a2852342
Send Message
Automatic Claim Number - cla1557334339

Quote - TokenModule

Claim

There is no full economic model provided for the system and therefore no way to verify if the system will work efficiently. 66c229312a6b8cb67b5a06de49d974ae
Send Message

I believe that the curating of articles on Wikipedia may be more neutral because the math behind Everipedia allows the suppression of opinions that aren't mainstream. And those opinions need to be protected when people are resisting changes.

6fad7fe0d4226dce89dec1ef13e185e6
RayenPLKRayenPLK Reputation: 1
Send Message

@HopeHK this is pretty significant because for example, the vast majority of people would classify the tomato as a vegetable, but it is a fruit. The majority opinion is not necessarily correct.

07fe38502d800ce78b63407e9d31de6d
THE JUDGE!!!!!!THE JUDGE!!!!!! Reputation: 0
Send Message
Opinion #61: An opinion has been issued in Automatic Claim Number - cla1557206449.

It was decided to release 9% of the funds. The jury voted in their opinion to release an average of 13% of the bounty and a median of 9% of the bounty.

Please see below for the opinion of the jury:
  • Opinion #1 - I support the claim 100%. I reduced the bounty amount only because they discuss platform technology and we are here not able to decide about copyright infringement. Hence 30%
  • Opinion #2 - i think trapping knowledge is a poor phrase for how the platform will operate as compared with wikipedia. the white paper owner should rephrase to be clearer
  • Opinion #3 - This is interesting information but there is no claim against the quote. This is better served as a comment for discussion.

Claim: It is interesting that Everipedia says that Wikipedia is unwilling to make a knowledge base when Everipedia wouldn’t even be where it is now without importing entries from Wikipedia. As you can see they admit in this paragraph on their own site https://everipedia.org/wiki/lang_en/everipedia/ , Part of Everipedia's alternative was to import all of Wikipedia's content on their platform. This laid a foundation for people to add content to these pages that would not necessarily be accepted on Wikipedia's platform, such as links to their websites and social media accounts. In addition, Everipedia's users could create additional pages for people, organizations, and other subjects that are not found on Wikipedia. Everipedia copied information from Wikipedia. Wikipedia hasn’t been referenced as their source. Think about all of the contributors who submitted their work to Wikipedia, a free platform, for others to reference and use their work for educational purposes. This company, not a free platform, took their work and copied it to their platform with only mentioning that they imported content from Wikipedia.

Highlight: However,Wikipediaunintentionallytrapstheknowledgecapitalitgenerateswithinitsownplatformwhenitscontentcouldbeusedtocreateathrivingknowledgeeconomy.

b214f54a9455119c1bfeaf1688c855e9
Send Message

@RayenPLK Exactly, so then what happens if 90% of the consensus says that a tomato is (obviously) a vegetable? How can someone who knows the correct facts override that?

4a2d351835787ecd83209ff577783059
THE JUDGE!!!!!!THE JUDGE!!!!!! Reputation: 0
Send Message
Opinion #62: An opinion has been issued in Automatic Claim Number - cla1557330988.

It was decided to release 5% of the funds. The jury voted in their opinion to release an average of 15% of the bounty and a median of 5% of the bounty.

Please see below for the opinion of the jury:
  • Opinion #1 - The claim is true. The traffic reported to be generated from the search engine is inflated. The total visit generated on the website is 1.94M and the bounce rate is 79%. It is likely that the traffic was purchased from multiple sources and locations.
  • Opinion #2 - the stat is given as a total stat, not specifying organic vs paid. while organic traffic is generally better, its not necessary negative that some traffic is paid.
  • Opinion #3 - According to the link provided there is a discrepancy however, your claim that they purchased views is unsupported. Maybe they do have users in India, just because the link shows users in India, it does not mean that they are "fake" or purchased viewers. I will award bounty but it could have been more if the claim had more evidence to support the purchased viewers claim.

Claim: ony 30% of traffic coming from search engines, i.e. organically. Suggests the numbers have been inflated by purchasing page views. Supported by the % of web traffic coming from India. https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/everipedia.org?ver=alpha

Highlight: 1‑2millionuniquevisitorseachmonth

e9e011c2da079e58e7b1d00f9f184100